100% Disk usage...

My PC far exceeds the recommended specs, especialy in the graphics department, but when I launch the game (in off line mode until server issues are fixed) I get 60 or more F.P.S. for 2 minutes and then my game freezes for 1 minute.

Then all is well for 2 minutes or so and again a freeze for 1 minute. The good performance interludes vary but when I get good performance, I get good performance.

At every freeze I notice 100% disk usage in task manager.

Very High, High, medium or low , no graphics setting makes a difference.

I should also note that I noticed this behavior since installing the alpha version almost two years ago. I uninstalled thinking that the problem would be fixed in the future, plus I had an older PC then.

The same happened with the beta and all its versions up until the full release.

Replies: 22

Created: 4 years, 2 months ago

Category: Bugs & Issues

Is there anyone that faces the same problem? Please post here so there may be some chance that one of the developers may notice it.

My specs are:

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU

AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz Vs AMD FX-8320 3.5 GHz recommended
RAM

16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24) as recommended
Motherboard

ASRock 970 Extreme4 (CPUSocket)
Graphics

C24F390 (1920x1080@59Hz)

8176MB ATI Radeon RX Vega 56 Vs AMD Radeon RX 570 recommended
Storage

465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB ATA Device (SATA (SSD))

119GB OCZ-VERTEX4 ATA Device (SATA (SSD))

Same issue here, Windows 10 with a GTX 1050
same cpu, AMD FX-8350 , Eight core

windows 10 and the cpu are the only things that match, so might be something with those, but not sure why it's the disk at 100% if that's the case...

Some say that the FX series is to blame, but why would they set as recommended the AMD FX-8320 and not a more modern chipset like a Ryzen model or its precursor.

Also the task manager shows 100% disk usage while cpu, ram, vram and gpu are between 40% and 60%.

What hard drive do you use?

1TB Samsung MZ7KM240HAGR-00005 ATA, HDD
250GB ST1000DM003-1ER162 ATA, SDD

I too am having the same issue. Now that the servers are back online it's worse! When the HDD hits 100% usage and locks up for about 60 secs I'm booted off the server and lose all game progress between waypoints. Offline mode is fine, I can wait out the hang time then continue playing afterward.

When I installed the game on my SSD symptoms are worse, lockups occur more frequently than on standard HDD. Last night I was able to get things stable on standard HDD with very little lockups. Then I upgraded to Radeon Adrenalin v20.1.2 this morning and everything when to hell.

It's worth mentioning that I only see 100% hard drive usage when the game is running. Otherwise my system performs well without issues.

----Current System Information----------------------------------------------
MOBO: MSI MS-7693
RAM: 32718MB RAM (32GB)
CPU: AMD FX(TM)-8350 Eight-Core Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.3GHz
GFX Card: AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series (Memory: 4071 MB)

----Storage Devices Tested----------------------------------------------
SSD: Crucial MX500C-CT500MX500SSD1 (Total Space: 475.9 GB)
HDD: Seagate Momentus-ST9250315AS (Total Space: 238.4 GB)

(Edited 4 years, 2 months ago)

Some say that the FX series is to blame, but why would they set as recommended the AMD FX-8320 and not a more modern chipset like a Ryzen model or its precursor.

Also the task manager shows 100% disk usage while cpu, ram, vram and gpu are between 40% and 60%.

What hard drive do you use?

emmplemmenos Original Comment

I agree, it does not make much sense, I'm in the same boat. During loading times and zone changes Disk spikes up to 100% while CPU and RAM are holding fast at 30-45% before upgrading to latest GFX drivers.

Outside of that gameplay was ok.

Well all three of us have the same CPU, so that must be what's to blame.
Nothing else besides windows 10 matches up, and considering that this problem isn't insanely common, I doubt it's the OS.

When the server issues blow past, perhaps we should try contacting the devs about this specific cpu and seeing if they know what's up.

Yeah, sounds good. Also just an update the game will not hang or crash if I'm alt tabbed. Disk utilization remains at 0% until I begin playing then it will jump to 20-30% and spike to 100% when loading new zones or areas. It will only hang if I continue playing at 100% utilization.

I took a look at the dxdiag log and found the following:

+++ WER3 +++:
Fault bucket 2104058536940593471, type 4
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Wolcen.exe
P2: 3.8.6.53
P3: 5e4931b4
P4: atidxx64.dll
P5: 26.20.15019.1003
P6: 5e3307bb
P7: c0000005
P8: 0000000000020ae8
P9:
P10:

+++ WER4 +++:
Fault bucket 1950850965521976555, type 4
Event Name: APPCRASH

Problem signature:
P3: 5e4931b4
P4: CrySystem.dll
P5: 3.8.6.53
P6: 5e4931b6
P7: c0000005
P8: 000000000019fc44
P9:
P10:

+++ WER5 +++:
Fault bucket 2107746068816562818, type 5
Event Name: AppHangB1

Problem signature:
P1: Steam.exe
P2: 5.67.23.89
P3: 5e430058
P4: 3c55
P5: 67246080
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

+++ WER7 +++:
Fault bucket 1294189102468403811, type 5
Event Name: AppHangB1

Problem signature:
P3: 5e46e959
P4: 40a5
P5: 67246080
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

Same Issue, Same CPU

edit: i played for hours, then had the issue pop up. logged off for the day, played again yesterday for hours, and it happened again. cant play at all today.

With hours of making tweaks I managed to find a way to play for a couple of hours. I noticed if I monitored my drive and stopped all actions during game play when it reached 100% my drive would slowly drop back down to 0% utilization without crashing or experiencing hang time; allowing me to continue playing.

The game is much more stable when installing it to a HDD not SSD (I couldn't play at all on my SSD)
Here is a screen shot of my monitoring setup - https://imgur.com/a/b9yEaUP

I hope this gets fixed soon since the AMD 8350 CPU is the next model up from their system requirement recommendations.

FX-8320 and RX-580. Same issue. On beta version too

Same here.

AMD FX-8350 (4,4Ghz) and GeForce GTX 1060 Rog Strix
Installed the Game on SSD made things better, but I still experience a lot of freezes.

I am also experiencing this issue. Game is installed on an SSD. Freezes routinely, and if I'm online when it freezes I lose connection. If I'm offline, the game eventually unfreezes, and I can continue.

Radeon RX 580 Series

AMD FX-8350

Still no fix but I'd like to share something...

I recently made an account in Geforce now and I can play it smoothly in Nvidia's monster.

But even though I get almost constant 60 f.p.s. I still get frame drops and minor stutters.

Just imagine how much more optimizing the game needs if the cloud pc gets frame drops.

The developers have a lot of work ahead of them, but at least I managed to appreciate better the work they have put in to this game already. It is a great game and I hope that they will make it shine in the end.

p.s.

I noticed the f.p.s. in game from wolcen's option to display frame rates.
There were no connectivity issues from my pc to the cloud.
If anyone is thinking to try the service, it is for online characters only,
offline characters stay on your pc localy and each time you run Geforce now
the pc you access doesn't store anything

The same here,

amd fx 8350 black edition 4Gh

GTX 1060 Armor 6G OCV1 6 Go

Game installed on SSD

Freezes routinely and i lost connection when i get a freeze.

Please make an update.

Same problem here.
AMD fx 8350 4Ghz
game on SSD
Online mode unplayable. disconect on every freeze

I recently made an account in Geforce now and I can play it smoothly in Nvidia's monster.

But even though I get almost constant 60 f.p.s. I still get frame drops and minor stutters.

Just imagine how much more optimizing the game needs if the cloud pc gets frame drops.

The developers have a lot of work ahead of them, but at least I managed to appreciate better the work they have put in to this game already. It is a great game and I hope that they will make it shine in the end.

p.s.

Thanks for the hint.
I think I will stay on GeForce Now till a fix is up!

p.s.

Sweet dude, thanks for the tip! I went ahead and also created a Geforce Now account to give it a go, the game play is so much better now. Nvida basically rented me out a virtual gaming machine. The best part is I get 90 days free to try out the service before having to pay $5 bucks a month for the first year. I hope the devs sort this out before then.

huge freezes amd fx 8350

i dont have any freezes or whatsoever but disc data transfer exceeds 30 MB/s just while moving around my character without any combat, for ssd ( i have samsung pcie ssd , its insane data flow and for what?

Created: 4 years, 1 month ago

Your email is not verified, resend your confirmation email from your profile page.