Ailment Mage Build, 100+ Expedition Farming

This game allows for so much customization, so I'll just stick with the key components of this build.This build does not utilize any broken mechanics or take advantage of any glitches.

Gear
Armor is all sorcerer gear. This isn't a very gear dependent build and you'll find good gear on your way up to higher levels. Some key stats that are great to have in my order of preference:
+Damage / +Spell damage
+Critical damage
+Damage type added to spells
+Spell Leech
+Ailment chance
+Force shield

As for weapons, I have found that a 1h melee weapon with a catalyst works best, although I ran with a staff for my first few builds.

Active Skills
This has some flexibility, but this is what has worked best for me.

• Anomaly (Echo Wave Pattern, Temporal Dilation, Echoes of Infinity, Twists and Windings, Rending Of Matter)
  • Plagueburst (Swarm of Corpuscules, Rapid Onset, Cutaneous Infection, Disgrace, Noxious Smog, Short Range Contaminants, Vitiation, Biohazard)
  • Solarfall (Glare Of Judgement, Those Who Favor Fire, Weight of the Sun, Sunrise, Condemnation)
  • Bleeding Edge (Stinging Blade, Upright Fury, Delayed Bladespin, A Taste for Blood, Unstoppable Momentum, Despotic Perseverance)
  • Aether Jump (Quantum Mind, Escape Artist, Spirits of the Void, Feeding the Aether, March of the Time Devourers, Breath of Time, Time Paradox)
  • Bulwark of Dawn (Vitality Exhumed, Haven of Men, Boundless Cornucopia, Divine Omnipresence, Aegis of Hope, House of Rest)

A regular pull will look like this:

Open with Anomaly x2. I'll generally place them right next to each other to cover a larger area. Because this is lightning damage, they will receive ailment stacks which will also do damage and with the continual pulse, most enemies won't be able to escape. Immediate follow with Plagueburst. This will cause all enemies that die inside your Anomaly to explode and leave a cloud of gas. The more creatures that die, the more gas clouds there are. You can kite monsters through the clouds while your skills are on cooldown if you like, but won't really need to. Follow with Solarfall for a bit of extra damage and to get stacks of fire ailment on more beefy targets. Finally, use Bleeding Edge as a rage dump. This also does a TON of damage and the bleed scales well with the ailment build. You can use Aether Jump as another way to build rage while fighting bosses to keep as many ailments up as possible. Bulwark of Dawn is 100% optional. I'm still trying to figure out what to use for my 5th slot, but I like the heal and damage reduction it provides.

Passives
I don't want to go through every single node, but I'll call out the important ones to this build here and which label they are located under:

Tier 1

• Attrition Strategist | Scholar (+60% ailment chance. Must have.)
  • Second Wind | Soldier (Burst of health regen when below 30% hp. Some nice survivability.)

Tier 2

• Primordial Insights | Cabalist (Crits that apply ailments can cause ailments to do crit damage)
  • Insidious Decay | Cabalist (Increase max number of ailment stacks, but decrease non ailment damage. More ailments = more damage. I picked up a number of smaller nodes that further amplified this with +ailment damage)
  • Immortal Offering | Cabalist (Grants +damage % buff for every enemy you kill with an ailment, up to 5 stacks per damage type. This is why we want all of our spells to have different damage types and additional damage types added to spells from gear. You can easily get up to 150% increased damage, which creates a snowball effect as long as you keep killing stuff)
  • Power of the First Men | Cabalist (50% chance to double the number of ailments inflicted by 2)
  • Grievous Afflictions | Cabalist (Can apply +1 additional ailments. More ailments you can apply in a short period of time, the more damage you get from Immortal Offering.)
  • Feast for the Crows | Warmonger (Life leech is so good. It's a bit bugged right now - when you are full force shield, it'll reset your shield to 0. With enough leech, you'll see this happening multiple times per pull. Doesn't break the build, but good to be aware of. Hope this gets fixed soon)
    Resilience to Corruption | Warlock (DoTs affect your shield before your health pool. To my knowledge, this means all damage goes through your shield first before touching your health pool)
  • Faith Leech | Warlock (Works well with Fest for the Crows, allowing Life Leech to recharge your shield)
  • Reining in the Darkness | Warlock (100% spell critical above 75% willpower. Works well with Primordial Insights)
  • Duty to Exterminate | Warlock (+200 max rage and willpower. I like having a bigger willpower pool)

Tier 3

• Branded Burst | Exorcist (+15% damage reduction per buff, stacking up to 5 times. Getting hit expends 1 stack, and stacks recharge every 2.5 second of not being hit. Recommend getting the improved node of this so stacks are 20% damage reduction. With full stacks, that’s 100% damage reduction. Definite must have)
  • Which Time Cannot Heal | Time Weaver (Damage done to an enemy with a status is applied again after 1.5 seconds. Pretty sure this works with spell damage, so you’re going to always be applying double damage. The improvement of this node adds another 20% damage when this is triggered)
  • Dire Juncture | Time Weaver (40% of damage you take applied immediately and the rest after 1s. The delayed damage doesn’t interfere with shield or health regen. Not entirely sure if this is a keeper, but been using this without issue)
  • Masochistic Effigy | Abyssal Shaper (Doubles max force shield, but HP cannot exceed 5% of max shield value. With all damage going through your shield first before touching your health pool, this increases the overall amount of damage you can take before being downed. The improved node increases your max HP to 15% of your shield value. Issue with this can be the bug with leech as mentioned above, but I’ve made this work for me.)

Stats
Ferocity - 120%
Toughness - 75%
Agility - 0%
Wisdom - 195%

Get your wisdom and toughness up first. Crits are nice, but applying status affects is going to be the most important thing for this build. Adding crits is just icing on the cake, but only works once everything else is in place.

Edit: Added a video of the build in action.

https://youtu.be/DNSKiR7MkYw

Here's a link to the passive tree and skills. I'll work on adding more later.

https://share.wolcen.dev/s/CriOVUWASj

Replies: 16

Created: 4 years, 2 months ago

Category: Gameplay

This build does not utilize any broken mechanics or take advantage of any glitches.

Bleeding Edge (Stinging Blade, Upright Fury, Delayed Bladespin, A Taste for Blood, Unstoppable Momentum, Despotic Perseverance)

this build definitely doesn't work on patch 1.0.4.0 because Faith Leech is bugged. have fun dying lol

This build does not utilize any broken mechanics or take advantage of any glitches.

Bleeding Edge (Stinging Blade, Upright Fury, Delayed Bladespin, A Taste for Blood, Unstoppable Momentum, Despotic Perseverance)

Kraer Original Comment

Is that a broken mechanic? I was unaware. Build works fine without that skill - only recently swapped to a melee weapon from a staff.

Edit: This skill still has has value as a way to add another ailment via bleed. Whether it's bugged or not, it would only affect TTK on bosses.

(Edited 4 years, 2 months ago)

this build definitely doesn't work on patch 1.0.4.0 because Faith Leech is bugged. have fun dying lol

anuran Original Comment

Faith leech is bugged, but hasn't stopped me from clearing 100+. With the additional 100% damage reduction from Branded Burst, I've been fine. I've had a few unlucky moments where my stacks are down and I get caught when my shield is cycling, but as a mage, you should be doing your best to avoid getting hit either way.

don't get me wrong. i'm not talking down the whole build. i guess it's got the potential to be one of the new meta builds. just not now with faith leech.

will test this one on patch 1.0.5.0 ;)

don't get me wrong. i'm not talking down the whole build. i guess it's got the potential to be one of the new meta builds. just not now with faith leech.

will test this one on patch 1.0.5.0 ;)

anuran Original Comment

Totally! It'll definitely be stronger once that's fixed, but can work around it if you're careful. I'll try to post a video later this evening.

can you add this build to https://wolcen.dev/

Well put an Agony in there and have fun. Still I dislike calling hybrid builds mage build.

Well put an Agony in there and have fun. Still I dislike calling hybrid builds mage build.

macknum Original Comment

Haha - I still very much treat it like a caster despite having a melee weapon. I spent most the time using a staff until swapping to the current setup.

can you add this build to https://wolcen.dev/

anuran Original Comment

Done. Added above, but here you go: https://share.wolcen.dev/s/CriOVUWASj

Oh boy, another Bleeding Edge build! Since that's the skill that does 90%+ of your damage, that's what the build is. But, in TCs defense, some variation of a Bleeding Edge build is pretty much what everyone's running expeditions with atm.

(Edited 4 years, 2 months ago)

Oh boy, another Bleeding Edge build! Since that's the skill that does 90%+ of your damage, that's what the build is. But, in TCs defense, some variation of a Bleeding Edge build is pretty much what everyone's running expeditions with atm.

crimsonedge11 Original Comment

Build can be run without bleeding edge. Up until about 10 levels ago, I was running staff with fireball instead of bleeding edge. I only picked up bleeding edge because I ended up finding a good 1h weapon that had some stats on it that I wanted and needed a good rage dump that I could cast from a distance.

[deleted]

I have no idea how you're pushing content like that with this build. I thought it looked fun so I switched over to it. I'm only level 65 but it abysmal. I have %dmg or %elemental on every piece. I have everything exactly as you've listed here. This build is decent at best at clearing out trash. It is terrible at killing bosses. You just run in a circle in a poison cloud for ages and wait for them to die, and that's only if you kite trash over first. I cannot recommend anyone play this build unless you're just so bored with another that you need a change.

kiyosuyo Original Comment

Did you take a peek at the video? Some bosses are definitely harder than others. Bleeding Edge definitely makes taking down bosses a lot easier. Sometimes you can get unlucky with boss modifiers and end up kiting them all around the map.

Did you take a peek at the video? Some bosses are definitely harder than others. Bleeding Edge definitely makes taking down bosses a lot easier. Sometimes you can get unlucky with boss modifiers and end up kiting them all around the map.

maniacalmorgan Original Comment

I'd like to apologize for my previous post. This build is actually quite great. I had accidentally moved my middle wheel and my skills weren't connected. Thanks for this.

Created: 4 years, 1 month ago

I'd like to apologize for my previous post. This build is actually quite great. I had accidentally moved my middle wheel and my skills weren't connected. Thanks for this.

kiyosuyo Original Comment

Glad it's working out for you!

Created: 4 years, 1 month ago

Your email is not verified, resend your confirmation email from your profile page.