Topic: Character creation

This topic contains 16 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Guy 1 month ago.

• Author

Yanek
    Participant

I have been looking forward to playing this game for some time, and generally I’m impressed. However, I’m very disappointed in the character creation. Nothing about it makes this game stand out from others in the same genre. There is nothing that makes your character unique. Nothing that makes you ’emotionally’ invested in the character’s development. I’d love to see ‘birthright’ skills or ‘perks’ that you choose at creation. It’s OK to make a character look different, but if they feel the same then what is the point?

Daryl
    Participant

I agree. Character creation needs to be exactly that; a chance to really get creative. At the moment there’s barely anything to choose from. The latest patch shows the female character’s stance in a completely unnatural position, even with the standard stature. The hairstyles, such as they are, would be vastly improved with better textures. Same goes for the male character. Considering how much detail is invested in the environment, it would be nice to see the same with character creation. I’m not expecting the character creation intricacy as detailed in Black Desert Online, or maybe even ESO, but what’s there at the moment is sadly disappointing.

Bloodwyrm
    Participant

There definitely need to be more options when it comes to character creation (and perhaps not even only aesthetic ones), but I get the feeling this is pretty low on the priority list at the moment. As much as I’d like this, I can understand that decision.

MeDiCaSTrO
    Participant

Further, for a unique character, there should be more face models. A face morphe like for the body would be nice.

Dagny Baker
    Participant

I appreciate the decision.

Calistaen [Wolcen Staff]
    Keymaster
    Guardian Angel

Thank you for all your feedbacks. We plan to improve the character creation and the character models as well and will take your opinions into consideration 🙂 Should you have other ideas to improve the emotional attachement to your character, do not hesitate to share them with us.

Community Manager
    Wolcen Studio

Illyana
    Participant

I just wanted to add that one of the things I hate with some other games is that all the characters look the same. The whole point of me playing these games is to make the character my own. I hate having to do exactly the same thing as everyone else and looking the same. So yes, more facial options. Another thought is height adjusters. Also, I love playing other mythological races, (elves, dwarves, etc). So being able to pick a different race, that I can then mold to my preference would be awesome. One other suggestion is something like an outfit style changer so I can pick how my equipment looks. Thanks!

Yanek
    Participant

Great to see you are listening.

What makes a character is not just about how it looks and the stats/skills he/she has. It is also about where the character has gone from. Plopping a character down in an environment makes no sense and ends up feeling disjointed…disconnected from the world you are putting so much effort in creating.

To creative emotional investment you need to know where that character has come from so things like race and class (social) are important hooks to build a story upon. Then there is genetics…we are not all made equally – for example, a ‘human’ may have some Elven blood from generations in the past; how does this manifest?

I’d love to see:
    Racial abilities – (if multiple races is a route you take)
    Background perks – i.e. what did the character do before adventuring? Were they are blacksmith or a baker? How does that affect them? How does it affect how you interact with people from different social classes in the game?
    Ancestral ability – something that makes your character unique…something that helps to make you unique.

Jenny
    Participant

I hope to see more hairstyle choices as the lack of them at the moment is disappointing. And yes really need to be able to change a lot more in character customisation.

TimNz
    Participant

I agree with a lot of the comments here it does need improvement and as the devs had said it is planned which is nice the things for me that currently are an issue are.

– The sliders need to be removed they just create weird and unnatural body types.

– The glowing eyes although shiny and pretty don’t fit at all into the current bodies well at all and look disjointed and a after thought.

– The variation of faces and hair are quite bland and have no individual flair.

Things i would like to see or variations of them in some form are :

– More detail on character models

– The ability to make custom faces / tweak facial looks

– Proportional body mass scaling when increasing hero size.

– More vibrant hair colors.

– I don’t agree with the comments to give heros racials / perks  etc, this takes away from creating your own uniqueness within the talents.

– I would like to see different race options for visual pleasure more than actual in game functionality.

–  VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING, VOICE ACTING.

For the love of god give all characters voice acting and quality audio, the immersion difference of voice acting is the single best thing you can do to draw people into your game, better than any shiny graphics of gimmicks, just good quality well read and varied voices. If there is one thing i could choose for this game it would be this. As it stands the world although pretty feels empty and hollow from a audio perspective.

Calistaen [Wolcen Staff]
    Keymaster
    Guardian Angel

Voice acting is planned 🙂 The character creation is now being revamped, I don’t know when it will be done but I hope you will like it 😉 I’ll give more details about that when we approach the release date of this release.

Community Manager
    Wolcen Studio

Maxos
    Participant

Hello people! I love the work you are doing and the desire you are putting into the game, I must agree with the comments of others that the creation of characters is very limited and needs more options to modify our character. On the other hand the portrait of the heroes and secondary characters could be better and maybe they should be in 3D I think that would be much better. Thanks for reading this

PS: I am using the google translator because English is not my mother tongue so I hope you understand it well, regards.

Calistaen [Wolcen Staff]
    Keymaster
    Guardian Angel

Perfectly understood Maxos, thank you 🙂

Community Manager
    Wolcen Studio

Kaizen
    Participant

When I think back about some of my favorite characters, they all had one thing in common:

They had great introductions.

My emotional attachment came more from how my character was introduced, and less so from what I could customize. In some cases, fewer customization options might be preferred over multiple tabs, each filled with a long list of options.

Off the top of my head, both Mass Effect 2, and Kingdoms of Amalur, had really great character introductions. I remember the game starting with the story, and the character creation was incorporated into the story telling. I loved how the first time I saw my character in Kingdoms of Amalur, is after they pull the sheet down from the body on the wheelbarrow. In Mass Effect 2, you are start the game by playing through your death.

In both cases, character creation was phased alongside my participation in the story.

Quality voice acting was another great addition. Either from the characters involved in the story, or from your own character (Diablo 3, for example, has great voice acting for the characters). This audible connection is, in my opinion, very powerful. For example, it can be hard to appreciate visual details when your on screen character takes up a very small amount of the screen. It is far easier to hear your character. It also adds another dimension of connection with your character. Besides, once you acquire armor, weapons, etc… you will see very little of your character.

All of that said, I think a great character creation process begins with story, and then allows for just enough customization options to feel interesting.

I recognize that many people would like different races, background perks, origin stories, etc… However, I would vote against these for the following reasons:

• The perception of min-maxing (race/skill/perk combinations)
    • I like to explore my character story by creating it, not by having some origin text
    • Additional races would require a great deal of assets; models, animations, armor/weapon exceptions, sounds… yikes
    • Perks, and other modifiers introduces yet another variable in the balancing equation. Too weak, and people complain. Too powerful and players feel like they have to choose a race for certain builds.
    • Increased QA demands

Time for both artists, and QA can get quite expensive. Additionally, balance can be made even more difficult. Going with a “story-integration” approach, as I am proposing, the process of character creation can be encapsulated and changes require less testing.

Just to really drive this home, here is an implementation example of what I mean by “story-integration”:

• *new game*
    • fade from black
    • Unscrupulous gentlemen wrapping bodies in rags and loading them in wagon
    • One of the wrapped bodies starts to move and startles one of the workers
    • After a moment of surprise, they pull out a dagger, raising it as they pull the rags back, eyes grow wide, and…
    • fade to character creation
      • pick a gender
      • body
        • skin tone
        • build
      • head
        • face (4-5 options?)
        • eyes (we all love eyes)
        • hair
        • hair color
      • name
    • fade back to scene
    • worker falls back, alarmed, as your character sits up
    • …and you get the idea

In short, I like my characters, in part because of how they look (and play), but I feel attached because of “our” shared experiences.

Thank you so much for reading, and my apologies for the lengthy post.

Malachi
    Participant

Character creation is a primary focus for me in most games. Although I have high standards, I also understand that there are limitations based on design and engine, and you can’t do everything. With that in mind, here’s my list of priorities. These are focused on creating the character, not necessarily flushing out a backstory or plot stuff.

1) Heels – Yes, please kill the whole high heels thing. Way to over pronounced, and realistically, would a character in a game starting basically bare bones (rags included for posterity’s sake), would they really have a pair of high heels? Male model excluded obviously. On that note, the hip angle in some of the poses is pretty exacerbated…most peoples hips would not canter to the angles that the female model does in many of it’s stances. Natural people bend their knees, they don’t have the capacity to drop one side of their hips almost 6 inches lower then the other side. Were not made that way.

2) body slider – the square design only merits a 3 out of 10 on the interest scale, since it’s different. But that’s where it’s advantages end. I would prefer more sliders to include more body options. Here’s my minimum slider list:

• Arms (width and depth in one scale…the current width as seen from the front is too limited atm).
    • Shoulders – overal width and depth can be in one scale, though having a separate chest depth slider could work for this as well.
    • Neck – overal width and depth. This can include the Trapezoids area as well, since there are a variety of different shaped traps out there.
    • Chest – not just the Bewbs (though thats pretty much a standard these days), but depth and size of the ribcage (see point#3 for more details on my gripes with the chest).
    • Waist – no matter where you place the scale, the fem model looks like they spent a few years in a corset. very unnatural looking unless you really want to go for the emaciated look. And no, not everyone like emaciated people.
    • Hips – the default hips are actually quite nice, in both the male and female. But when you start adding sliders for legs and waist, it can really get out of proportion fast. you can include Glutes in this as well, though some people like a separate butt slider. Personally, I find butt sliders just end up making my characters posterior look weird, so I could care less for a separate slider for  that.
    • Legs -lower legs is nice to have a separate slider from upper legs, but having both under one would conserve development time.
    • Face – although one slider is easiest, I prefer a few: overall size of head, and then width/depth. Optional would be even more sliders in the “face” section. you have two separate tabs for these, might as well make them both worth looking into. if you go that route, id like to see cheekbones, jaw (upper and lower), and forhead/brow sliders as well. a few mouth sliders would be awesome too, for width and curvature.

3) Chest: Male chest is actually decent. But I look at the female chest, and the all look like they have COPD from smoking too much. a huge, distended lower chest, and the upper chest seems to disappear. it simply looks weird. google pictures of women, and very few of them have this odd distended look. even at the maximum “Muscular” setting, the look is still barely tolerable. Don’t forget that you have close to a dozen different muscle groups that compromise the chest area, both on the sides (interstitial), and mostly from the back. I think people don’t realize how much the back muscle groups are visible from the front, and bring together the natural “taper” of a persons mid to upper torso. simply put. we need more v taper in the female bodies. This could be easily incorporated into a “shoulder” slider, or the chest depth slider as well.

right now you can’t really get that look in the female model. Oddly enough, the male model does this quite well. On the note of the Bewbs, they are fine, with a semi-decent natural look. I get tired of all the “fake bewbs” styles in the current crop of fanservice ames out there…it’s nice to see a dev team that recognizes that not all chests are made up of silicone. Male pecs are again very nice…It’s interesting to me that I actually like the male models in a game (I usually have gripes about their design). This is one of the few games I play that I prefer the male model over the female one. Curing the COPD disease that seems to affect all the women in this world would go a long ways towards equalizing this field.

4) More hair styles.

5) More face styles (if you don’t implement sliders in the face tab).this would include facial features, since the current faces look like their either really bored, or just coming down from a wild night of partying.

6) text fields for background/culture/etc. : a simply solution to the background customization is to simply let players make their own.

I do not support any racial/culture passives. One of the appeals to this game is the universal character design model, and racials limit scope. But they could be fun for a background element, especially if they impact story based items such as fraction favor or dialog options.

last point: voice ineraction. Doesn’t need to be extreme, but casual comments from NPC’s and main story dialogue as voiceovers would go a long ways towards making things feel more connected. Grim Dawn has a very nice balance to this. quest dialog’s are VO for about 85% of it, and most NPC’s you unteract with have about 2-3 basic commentary responses when you click on them. That’s enough in my book to make the world feel real, without having to bust 80% of your budget on VO actors.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.