Topic: Spell / Umbra generation

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  58elrond 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Sigmar
    Participant

Hello

I got a issue with umbra generation since i used a magic staff (lighting one) as i can’t use rage spender skill i have nothing to generate umbra … my skill use umbra and the auto attack of my staff don’t generate umbra.

Do i miss something? because for now the gameplay is better with a warrior weapon … and i’m a mage ^^’ that’s odd.

Thanks and fly safe.

Alan
    Keymaster
    Guardian Angel
    Team

Hi Sigmar, the staff auto-attack does not generate umbra as it is meant as backup weapon while your umbra is regenerating. Depending on your preference, using a melee weapon and a rage spell might be a faster way to transfer umbra, but you then lose the spell damage bonus granted by staves, and have to dedicate at least one skill slot to a range-spender.

Grunvagr
    Participant

Sigmar,

I’m playing a mage with a staff and generating umbra isn’t too bad.  My advice? pay attention to the skill tree/gate of fates wheel when leveling up.

Umbra regeneration:  10% regen speed.

Umbra recovery:  makes it so that your rage doesn’t conserve.  So as soon as it fills up, it immediately starts to regen umbra again.

Quick rest:  if you’re not in combat, umbra regens 20% faster

Magical Affinity: 20% umbra regeneration if you are all out.  Scales down, so I imagine it’s still a 19% boost then 18%, etc, diminishing as you get more back.  Still, really good and it’s very noticeable.

I am probably missing a few, but they are either harder to reach in the tree or you need to be level 14 or so to get to them.  Umbra recovery is HUGE though, make sure to get that one.  And if you plan to play a full mage, just get all of these.  Also, make use of the purple umbra potions as you level up.  And gear can have + umbra regen or regen % boost, so stock up.  Good luck!

Khromm
    Participant

Been thinking about this very topic recently. Have a suggestion to enhance staff use somewhat; give us a wheel perk to increase staff damage depending on how much rage you have generated – full rage bar = full damage bonus, decreasing to 0% at 0 rage. It’d make rage a little more useful to staff users than it currently is, and depending on build choices could be a start point to open up other paths where a balance of umbra vs rage actually means something, rather than (for staff users) just a regular “mana bar” which is what it feels like right now. You could even alter spell costs/bonuses depending on rage level as well, and give us the option to do either increased staff damage or increased spell damage at low umbra/high rage levels (or increase AOE effects/stun effects).

I do like my elementalist build, but would have to say that it does kinda feel like any other mage class in any other game, when part of what draws me to the game is the way that umbra and rage affect each other. From what I’ve played of the other styles so far, it seems that they get some benefit from umbra (Holy Dive springs to mind) as well as useing rage, but staff wielders only get any benefit from umbra and nothing else. Even bearing in mind umbra regeneration perks, where all they do is shift the balance faster from rage to umbra; even melee classes get stats/perks that work in the opposite direction but can still have a use for Lightning Srike or Fireball.

Gonna go work on my assassin build now though… 😉

58elrond
    Participant

Yea, i find umbra generation will throw off alot of players, since you cant use any meele attack with a staff? Mage is now a waiting game. Seems dumb.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.