Wolcen has an outstanding visual and audio presentation. I really enjoy what I see and hear. But somehow, the game just feels unsatisfying and odd to play to me. It took me a while to figure out why exactly that is, and here is what I think:
It comes down to the fluidity of the whole experience. I have played and compared a lot of ARPGs recently, Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, Diablo 3, Last Epoch and Wolcen. And this allowed me to better understand what's wrong here.
Wolcen does not allow me to get into a fluid, smooth flow between movement and combat. There are several reasons for this:
- The character moves too slow in early and mid game.
- The enemy encounters are too far inbetween. Together with the slow movement speed, there is lots of boring walking empty space.
- During walking / dodging through this empty space, the willpower / rage resources drop so far, that I am not ready for the next encounter.
Note: this is most likely intended, so you have to re-engage your resources by using generator skills. But all it achieves is slowing the player down and breaking the flow. This feels bad.
- Encounters often have too few enemies, sometimes I fight just 2-3 tiny critters, which are annoying to hit and just plain boring of an encounter.
- Attacking small enemies is too difficult. Sometimes I am accidentally "dancing around" a small enemy, just because the game thinks I want to move, but I just missed the enemy by a few pixels. This completely destroys the momentum.
I suggest the following changes to the game:
- Increase the base movement speed of the character by 10 or 15 %
- Add 50 % more enemies to encounters
- Make groups of enemies around 25 % closer to each other
- Make it easier to hit small enemies, by being more generous with the area you can click around them to trigger an attack.
This should allow the rage / willpower to be ready for combat more often, making it less annoying to the player to micromanage the flow of them.
It also would increase the action, which is honestly lacking in the game right now. Compared to the competitors, I almost fall asleep in Wolcen.
Created: 1 year, 7 months ago
Category: Feedback & Suggestions